Scott has known the Arms since he was a teenager. They are his second family and have since taken the rest of us in as well. The first time I met Doug and Jan was about 7 years ago when Wade was home on leave. The boys were in heaven instantly as Doug took them around on his golf cart and down to his farm. Since then we have been down there many times and practically lived there this summer on the weekends.
Doug was usually quiet. He was more of an observer than a talker, but conversation with him was always good. He was a hard worker and grew the best sweet corn I have ever tasted along with many other fruits and vegetables I don't eat, but if I did, I am sure they would have been good. He was proud of his kids and even prouder of his grandkids. The boys enjoyed visiting with him, and were disappointed when we would go down there, only to find that Doug was still in the hospital. They would go visit him with Jan and Scott and I had made it in to see him a few times as well.
Once this summer when we were down there, he handed each of the boys ten dollars. Scott was not havin this , but it was what Doug had wanted to do and he wasn't going to let Scott stop him. He told Scott that he did it for his grandkids and our boys were no different. In return they were supposed to go help him on his farm this summer as payoff, since they are to work for everything they get. And even though they can be lazy at home, they would have enjoyed being of help to Doug.
So it was his time to go...and he shall be in peace at last. He will be missed by us all and may his family find comfort in this time of sorrow and sadness.

No comments:
Post a Comment