Sunday, March 29, 2009

Childhood Memories

Friday night we went out to eat for my moms birthday. The food was great and it is always nice to get together. For some reason, that night after we got home, I was lying in bed, and old memories came to mind. Like the time we were at my Grandma and Grandpas house and I remember it was cold and my older brother and sister were in the back seat of my moms car with me. I was tired of waiting for my mom and dad to come out, so I leaned up, in between the front seats, and pulled on the gear shift. Luckily, the only damage was a squished tricycle, and the garage somehow was saved. Now if you want to get someones, attention, this will do the trick. I was lying there, wondering what must have been going through every ones minds. I have never seen my dad come runnin so fast, and to think my brother and sister just let me do it. They didn't even say a word. Nothing. They even could have grabbed me or smacked me, but they just sat there. Ha, I actually have to laugh out loud on this one. And my mom never learned her lesson either. It wasn't long after that, that my younger sister and I were in that same car waiting for my mom at the babysitters. And once again, I thought I could drive! This time though, I backed over a flower patch. The house wasn't far off either. I must have been such a great driver at an early age that I knew how to scare the bajebies out of everyone, without actually destroying everything in my path. Or at least that is my story! I can remember my preschool graduation. My mom, dad, and I, along with my cousin Adam went to get my dads new truck. My mom also bought me the Heart Family Dolls (like barbie and ken but with babies). I wanted to ride home with my dad so bad, but Adam got to instead. We stopped by my Grandma and Grandpas house, I am not sure why now, and I did get to ride in that truck back to our house. It was a manual, Chevy truck, turquoise in color. Or how about the time we threatened to hang my little sister from the clothes line, or dressed the vacuum up in a flannel shirt and Halloween mask. She seemed to be the brunt of all our torture. I also remember chasing her through the house and up the stairs to stab her in the back with a drawing compass. And to this day, I have no idea what she did to make me so mad, and I am also Thankful I didn't seriously injure her. I can remember when she had surgery along with my dads back surgery. I remember countless Christmas's at my Grandparents impatiently waiting for my mom to get off work so we could open all those presents! It was usually the same scenario at the babysitters, I am not sure how we spend so much time there without permanent residency! I remember the helping throw sand down my sisters pants. ( I told you she took brunt of things) I can also remember a group of us sitting on the propane tank at the end of the drive on a nice day. My mom came to pick us up ( which was surprising to me now since it was still daylight) and one of the kids pushing me off the tank and onto a board with a nail in it. And to make it worse, he came in and made fun of me because I was standing on a chair in the kitchen with my pants around my ankles so they could clean the wound. During the summers when I was a little older, my sisters friend came over and we all got to driver her car around the back roads. And going down to the stream with my brother and sister even though I knew we weren't supposed to. It was such a cool place, but I was always afraid of the water spiders. I remember my dad and brother coming home from somewhere and saying my dog had been hit by a car. I immediately started crying and took off outside behind my dad with a gun in his hand to put the poor thing out of its misery. I thought it was just an excuse to get rid of the dog because he didn't like it. He was cleaning out the wash house one day and my dog got in there behind the stove. He tried getting the husky little puppy out by pushing on him with a broom, and ever since that dog was afraid of people. One summer lighting hit our house and I ran out the back door in my pj's to make sure the sparks I saw didn't catch the house on fire and that dogs brother Cody, came runnin in and my lil sis and I could not get him out. Thankfully the house was ok, other than a blown tv, satellite, and phone, but that dog hated storms. I loved going to my grandparents and my great grandmas as well. She always had an ice cream pail full of frozen cookies in her freezer, and rest assured, she always shared. One summer my brother though it would be a good idea to burn down the grass in the back yard. My lil sis and I watched my brother and sister and mom from the back door frantically running buckets of water from the hydrant to the fire. We just stood there and watched them like it was no big deal even though they were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. And the fire department did show up for some reason after the fire was out. My older sister and I carefully unwrapped our Christmas presents one year and then wrapped them back up so my mom wouldn't have a clue we knew what was in them. I also remember when I was quite young, my brother pushin me on a blue and pink big wheel right off the edge of the porch. I believe I was unharmed and escaped hitting the tv antenna but boy was I ever mad. I don't think it helped he was standing there laughing about it! I also remember the one time my mom MADE me and my lil sis stay home from church. Our room was such a mess you couldn't even see the floor. I can not believe what a slob I was, and very much appreciate my OCD to clean now. But it has also gives me a little more respect to my kids now when they are cleaning. Hopefully, one day soon they will be neat freaks too.

It is funny how thinking about one thing leads to another. There are lots of things we did that we weren't supposed to do. I don't really ever remember getting into too much trouble though. Probably because most of the time we didn't get caught!

2 comments:

Boeckman mommy said...

You are going to get us in trouble tattleing on us like that.haha I laughed out loud reading that. I have lots of great memories too. I should post some of them for all to read. I distinctly remember you falling, or being pushed off the propane tank, and then the person that pushed you screamed "she's bleeding" and you starting crying harder than you already were. And the back yard fire. I can tell you details. Jerod was mad at dad, and he was playing with a lighter in the back yard. He burnt his finger and dropped the lighter and it started the yard on fire. Well I had done my chores and Mom was allowing me to go ride my bike. When I got out there, Jerod said come help me. So that is what I did with an ice cream bucket. And I wasn't supposed to tell mom. Pooy on that. I went and told mom. And she came out to help. I was wearing my yellow thongs (flip flops this day and age) and they fell off in the whole process. Well needless to say, Mom called dad and told him to bring the fire truck with him. And he wanted an explanation on the phone, and Mom just told him to get home. Needless to say, the rest of the afternoon was very quiet and spent pulling stickers out of my feet. Ha ha.

Love you Sis.

me plus three said...

yes, but she can't punish us for things we did then now.