Thursday, September 10, 2009

Rest in Peace


In Loving Memory Of Patricia (Patty) Jean Flentie

July 15, 1953-September 9, 2009

We will miss you.

As being the only Grandkids and nieces/nephew in my grandparents home, you can only imagine how spoiled we were. Holidays were a HUGE deal to my grandma and my mom could never seem to get off work on time which left all us impatient kids waiting and waiting and waiting. And you can imagine the kinds of goodies we got from two aunts working for the Campbell's Soup Factory. Cookies, soups, crackers...you name it, we had it. It may not have been high tech gadgets or expensive toys, but we couldn't have been more thrilled to open our food gifts at Christmas. And with that also came huge soup mugs, watches and things I know I am forgetting. And for us kids there was nothing better than getting to go visit my aunts. They lived in a HUGE house!!! Well, it seemed way bigger when we were little than it did last week when we drove by. We would get to go spend a weekend in Nebraska and rent movies, go out to eat at Pizza Hut, and had the whole upstairs to play in all by ourselves. Things we never got to do at home. And they had every board game you could imagine. It was great.

I also remember my Aunts love of pictures. It runs in the family, I am who knows what generation of this very same "problem." They are everywhere. But the cool thing about Aunt Patty was she had her pictures put to slides. And she had and still has boxes and boxes of slides. So many that I don't have a clue as to what is all on them but it was always a treat to gather around and get to watch the slides from the pictures she had taken. And she had every holiday get-together recorded on camcorder as well as far back as anyone could afford one of those expensive gadgets. A

As we got older and my grandparents passed we not only started out in our own lives but they came around less as well. It would have been nice to have spent more time together in the end. I remember my last "good" conversation with her was in the Hospital, just minutes after my dad had passed and we left the room and I hugged her and told her he was in a better place and I loved him and I loved her. I will forever cherish that moment, and now she is home in peace and her suffering in gone. There is no doubt that she has reunited with my grandparents and my dad and that one day the rest of us will join them one by one. It is hard to lose loved ones but you have to find comfort in knowing that they truly are in a better place and that no matter how selfish we are for wanting them here with us, they are the ones in a better place. I hope my day in joining them is far down the road but I do know that one day we will all be where the sun always shines and it only rains with love and joy and happiness.....

No comments: