Where were you on 9/11? It is hard to believe this tragic event was 8 years ago, a day I among many others will never forget......
This day especially stands out in my mind, it is still very clear to me, Scott and I awoke very early that morning, I believe we were on the road by 4 am and on our way to Topeka to meet his Dad and then on to K.C. It was a Great day, we couldn't have been any happier to be on our way to Hawaii, the Island of Oahu, for our Honeymoon!! We were supposed to at the airport by 7, allowing time for check-in, and boarding our plane which was to leave around 8 or 8:30. ( I don't remember the exact time) And once we were on that large plane, I was excited and scared, I had never flown before. Scott had, it had been awhile, but we were headed to Hawaii....Hawaii Baby!!! It seemed we sat on that plane for ever. We were waiting on a late passenger or so that is what we were told in the beginning. And after we had been sitting there for what seemed as an eternity the pilot finally came on and said our plane had been temporarily grounded and we could get off the lane but if we did and the plane got the ok to leave, it was leaving without us. There was NO WAY, no way at all, we were going to miss that flight. So we waited and we waited. Finally the pilot came back on and told us that the plane was grounded til further notice and would not be going anywhere that day. And so as we are all getting off the plane we are wondering what the heck could have happened that the plane wasn't going anywhere. And since Sc0tts dad just dropped us off and was on his way back home, no cell phone, we were wondering what we were going to do and how we were going to get back home. There was a little bar inside the airport when we came back out with a t.v. on and it finally hit us what was going on. I can not even tell you the emotions I had running through me, happy that that wasn't our plane and that we never got off the ground, sad for all the lives that were being affected, and disappointed we were no longer on our way to Hawaii. Finally, Scott got ahold of his dad back home and he came back and picked us up. We sat outside and just talked with all the other people trying to get where they were going, some who lived much further away and wouldn't be going home that day, or the next, or the next.
Finally arriving back in Sabetha the chaos continued. Every gas station had long lines, people feared gas was going to rise to $4 a gallon, it was just a mad house. And I remember calling Nate and asking if he wanted to come back home or stay with his mom because she was to have him while we were gone and he kept telling her he couldn't because we were in Hawaii.
Everyone has a 9/11 story, some more tragic than others, but the truth is no matter where you were or who you were with from young to old, this day will forever be remembered.
No comments:
Post a Comment