Thursday, September 10, 2009

8 years of memories

Scott and I were married on September 8, 2001 at the Church of Christ in Fairview. I had rained the night before but the sun was shining that day. It was a great day and we were officially starting our lives as one. Three days later we were to go see beautiful Hawaii on our honeymoon. Little did we know what that day had in store for us. (I will post more on that tomorrow) Lets just say we had to postpone that trip til January. I had just started a new job at NCTC and Scott was working for M&L Auto and had just helpin in opening Midway Truck Wash. Our boys were small. Brennan had just turned 1 and Nate was almost 5. We had the typical family life of work 8-5 or close to that and home to spend time as a family. We took lots of bike rides, made a trip to the Topeka Zoo every summer, and spoiled those silly boys ROTTEN!!!!!

Hawaii was fabulous. It is truly paradise. Someday I would love to go again, but not only is everything expensive there, but the flight is long. We were lucky enough to have great friends stationed there(part of the reason we had to postpone it so long) and Anda was our very own personal tour guide. For the first week she took us around the island and looking back now, just driving around was something to remember. We went to Haunama Bay, Pearl Harbor, the North Shore, and so many other remarkable places I can't even name them all. Everyone should have the opportunity to visit Hawaii!!!

In the early summer of 2001 we purchased the trailer court. It started with only 5 trailers, 1 of which was unlivable. We moved ours from the other trailer court and started building our investment. Throughout the years it has grown to 10 trailers and a house. It can sometimes be more work that it is worth and at other times it pretty well takes care of itself. I survived many "bad" storms in them dang things and couldn't be any more happy when we finally got a home in 2007. I had not had a huge fear of storms before then but anyone who has ever stayed in a mobile home with 70 plus mph winds with very little protection knows exactly what I am talking about. The roof starts rumbling and the walls start popping and you can literally feel your house shaking. Now that is a scary experience!!!

When we did our home in 2007 we had previously purchased the land a few years back and like the location and the fact that we would be moving out of our "investment" and wanted to be close to keep our eye on things. And at the time there were absolutely no homes for sale, none close to the area or any bigger than the trailer we were living in. We had our basement dug, Scott helped set up forms, we dug out the water and sewer lines by hand, something I would rather not have to do again. It is never sooo frustrating to dig them out only to have to do it again the next day after the hired helped had filled them back in!!!!! Everything was behind schedule, but approx. a month after our basement had been poured the day came when our house arrived. It came in two pieces on two different days and had to sit up here for a few days before the crew could come back up to move it onto the foundation. I made Scott go out there with me at night and cut open the plastic so I could have a sneak peak. Anxiety was on high and I just could not wait to be in our home. Within a matter of days, they had it put together and we were moved in. But to this day I still have several boxes yet to be unpacked.

Throughout the years we became owners of the truck wash, I had my own daycare, then going to work in the truck wash for my husband after much begging and finally in 2004 I opened my Graphics shop. It has been a long road, lots of hard work and a load of debt, but we are making it slowly but surely, and someday it will all be payed for and hopefully we can truly enjoy the benefits.

We both had our first experience at Rockfest, saw poison and Def Leppard, and took a few trips to KC to visit family. We have lost many loved ones and and gained some new. We watched the boys grow to their current ages of 17, 12, and 9!! It is hard to believe they are that old already and when people say time flies, it truly does. And I am proud to say that all 3 of them have jobs and are learning the ways of the world. They are no longer those spoiled, silly little boys. They work for what they have and will continue to do so.

The last 8 years have flown by, lots of memories were made, (some lost), and I can only hope that the next 8 will be full of many more!!

No comments: