Awhile back Nate came home from school and told us that someone took his lock off his gym locker. Apparently he didn't get it locked and it went missing. (later to be found on another locker) This weekend he came home and told us someone took one, yes just one, of his shoe laces out of his P.E. shoes, and luckily his teacher had a replacement. I know kids, especially boys love to pull pranks on each other but seriously, are kids really finding this funny? Last year his towel came up missing and was nicely replaced with a rag. There is no way the kid could have dried off with this thing, it was full of holes, frayed ends, and thin as paper. I managed a quick fix on that one. I bought him a nice, new, over-sized towel and embroidered his name on it. And imagine that, he still has his towel, good as new. Just a perk of getting wholesale goods and owning an embroidery machine. I also put his name in his shorts and tees with my heat press, since they all dress identical, just so no one would accidentally pick up his clothes. However, the shoe string has me puzzled. There really is no way for me to embellish his shoestring, nor is there a good way to prevent others from taking them. I understand he needs to be more careful, but I find this all just a bunch of B.S. and who can find humor in stealing or destructing other peoples things. I am a little disappointed that our kids can find humor in this and no matter which way you look at it, in my opinion it is what it is (stealing) and our kids should know better.
I am very happy to say that my loving kids, or so they thought, brought home some pears, fresh picked off a tree, yes this was from a tree of someone they knew and had permission from, just for me!! I don't eat pears, but the the fact that they thought of me made me feel good and was nice to know their lives don't always exist of just themselves. It just so happened, these pears, which no one ate, including them, got left on the counter in a bag until one day I smelled something awful. I have been extremely busy lately so other than the necessities of dishes, laundry, etc., little was getting done around the house. But it didn't take long to find out where the horrible smell was coming from, and as soon as I picked up the nasty bag of rotten pears, out came a swarm of fruit flies aka gnats!!! These pesty little guys will live anywhere, and I have even seen a few in my bathroom, UGH!!! I have kept dishes out of the sinks, cleaned the sinks, kept all food put in cupboards, make the boys take the trash out if there is any kind of food in there, and they just don't go away. But I found this great homemade recipe off the Internet and to my delight, it works.
It is one part sugar and one part vinegar, mine made about 3/4 cup. I poured it in a mason jar and rubber banded a piece of tin foil to the top with a few holes poked in the top. Supposedly they are attracted the smell of vinegar and once they are in they cant get back out. I woke up and found about 20 drowned in the jar and more sitting on top just waiting to fall in:) A few more nights and hopefully they will all have joined their friends. Whew, I was beginning to think we would never get rid of our pests.
So if you have gnats, try this, it really works. And I really like that it is made from things most people have on hand and no chemicals. I did read it is best to dump the mixture and start over every couple days or so. I am hoping they will all be gone by then!!
No comments:
Post a Comment