Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Something I feel strongly about...

This morning on a local news website, I read of the state once again delaying another school aid payment and possibly having to hold state tax returns because it collected $71 million less than it had anticipated in February. Our local school districts are already trying to make cuts and talking about consolidation to try and budget for the shortfalls from the state. I also heard on the news yesterday that the state is now trying to tax our residential utility bills and make churches pay sales tax on the good they purchase. I am trying to understand, really, where they think this money is going to come from. It's simple math really.... lots of people have lost jobs, that's less money they will not only pay in income taxes, but also less money they are going to spend on purchases; less purchases for businesses means less sales which in return equals less sales tax to pay and less money we have to purchase the things we don't need, or letting more workers go. They have cut funding for the elderly, handicap, and schools, but not once have we heard anything about our government laying off jobs or cutting their direct spending, only spending to government aided programs. And since my husband and I are self-employed, I know the importance of paying all of our taxes on time to avoid penalties and interest, yet when it is time for our government to pay us back, not to mention they have held our money all year long interest free, there may be a delay??? I'm sorry, but when we have a bad month I do not get to send a letter to them explaining my situation and how somehow I may have "mishandled" their money and now would like to delay my payment to them interest and penalty free!!! And while I agree that times are tight for everyone, I think it is time we all assess our situations and cut out the things we don't need, I also think this should be true of our government on every level. The programs they are cutting our valuable to our people, and one electric stapler purchased by the government may pay for one person to have the care they need for one more day. The talk of taxing is getting old, so old, they not only want to tax our junk food, but utility bills, church purchases, anything that isn't already taxed, they want to raise taxes on alcohol, and lets not forget the already high taxes we pay on cigarettes and fuel. Which in return leads me to another question. With the taxes on these things being so high, and people are smoking and traveling less, what is our government going to do when people give these items up all together, especially the cigarettes??? What will they tax next to pay for children's health programs because they have raised the cost up so high and nobody can afford to buy them??? The only way I see to control our debt nationally is just as simple as controlling the debt of a single household...purchase the absolute needs of survival first, and if there is money left over, that is where you get to enjoy a night out at dinner, or go see a movie, or that new pair of shoes you need and on and on. And I am really tired of hearing congress talk about a simple way of life, when it means they get to spends hundreds of dollars on a suit or a plate of dinner at some fancy restaurant. And even if I am amazed at the things NASA has done, is it really necessary at the moment to see if we can live on mars in the near future? I think it is time, we the people, put this country back in check. A check of what is really important in life. A life without drowning our children in debt, a life without fighting a fight that will never end in peace, a life that ensures them the best education they can get, a life we can all live and be proud of!!!

1 comment:

Boeckman mommy said...

You pretty much summe dit up. You should send this to our legislators. You know just how to word things. You Rock. Send this as a letter to the editor of local newspapers, I think you should. love you